Five woman in 100 will get pregnant a year.
How it works
It is a sheath of polyurethane, which is put into the vagina and has a rim, which lies outside the vagina. It stops sperm from entering the vagina.
Possible Side Effects
- May interfere with intercourse
- May slip
- The man's penis may enter the vagina between the condom and the vagina, instead of inside the condom.
- Sensation is reduced
Advantages / Benefits
- available to anyone
- protects against sexually transmitted infections
- no side effects or medical risks
- no need to see a doctor
- reliable if used carefully
- oil-based products can be used
- can be put in anytime before sex.
- for anyone
- better used with another method if the couple are young.
Who can provide it?
- free from Sexual Health Services.
- available through youth workers (C card)
- can be bought at chemists and supermarkets.
- must be used carefully to be effective
- use only once
- check expiry date
- check for CE mark